Unless you’re a fan of dragboat or auto racing, it’s possible you’ve never heard of Roger Primm of Washoe Valley, NV.
On the other hand, you’ve probably heard of Primm, NV, the community famous for its casinos and off-road racing. The area’s developer was Roger’s father, Ernest Jay Primm.
Roger, 60, is the latest customer to be ecstatic over a build by DCB Performance Boats of El Cajon, CA. The builder is currently dialing in an M35 Widebody powered by TCM 1450 EFIs with #6 drives. The boat was on display at the Los Angeles Boat Show in January, and will be delivered shortly.
Primm was about 17 when his older brother was racing a K boat. “I went down to Lake Ming to watch the races, and I was instantly hooked,” he recalls. Before long, Roger was driving his first Eliminator flatbottom, a 100-mph lake boat that led to an award-winning 20+ year career racing in Pro Gas Hydro, Blown Gas Jet and Comp Jet classes, where he broke several IHBA records.
After that, he launched a career in auto competition, where he raced top alcohol and top fuel dragsters in the the National Hot Rod Association circuit. He also made a name for himself as owner of the famous Whiskey Pete’s casino, and has been focusing on real-estate development since selling the casino in 2000.
Both of his children also inherited his “need for speed.” His son, now 26, is a former Outlaw kart racer, while his daughter has a passion for barrel racing, a rodeo event in which a horse and rider attempt to complete a cloverleaf pattern around preset barrels in the fastest time.
The M35 is Primm’s first DCB and his first catamaran (he previously owned a Formula FasTech vee bottom). The boat features a 9’7″ beam and was constructed using the Vacuum Infused Resin (VIR) process, balsa-cored, with aggressive carbon-fiber and carbon-kevlar. It’s a half-cap hull with stainless steel rubrail painted black. With the current setup, Primm says the boat will do 160+ mph with no problem.
Some specs on the boat:
• Power: Twin TCM 1450 EFIs with #6 drives
• Interior: 75% Alcantara/ 25% CoolTouch marine vinyl with matching under cuddy
• Custom matching carpet kit with shaved diamonds in the fabric
• Phase III gelcoat scheme
• Two Mercury Vessel View 9s
• One Garmin 922 (9”) center plotters
• Rear-view camera
• Isotta Carlotta steering wheel
• Latham Marine throttle/shifter
• Tiger Communications 6-person intercom system with VHF boat-to-boat communication (aka “DCB Channel”)
• Two Garmin GMi20’s in back of headrests
Interior Rigid LED lighting package (mood lighting, courtesy lighting, LED cupholders) and 10” underwater LED
• Stage III stereo – Fusion head unit, two JL Audio amplifiers, 10 JL Audio M6 midrange LED speakers, and two 13” JL Audio W3 subwoofers
• Billet foot shower
• TCM Sea-strainers and water pick-ups
• Custom TCM exhaust pipes
• SeaDek boarding kit (walkway between engine hatches and steps down into cockpit and front bow entry way)
• Adrenaline Custom Trailer, triple-axle with custom two-tone black 20” FUEL rims, SS fenders, triangular drive guard, undercarriage LED lighting package, etc.