DCB Performance Boats has delivered a 2020 M33R Widebody powered by Mercury Racing 450R outboards to South Carolina native Scott James, who has been enjoying the boat in Lake Havasu for the past few days.
The boat, which features a 9’7” beam, features STR Brackets (courtesy Shaun Torrente Racing), custom matching carpet kit with shaved diamonds in the fabric, Phase III gelcoat scheme and Mercury Zero Effort DTS shifter/throttle. The M33R also sports a six-person intercom system with VHF boat-to-boat communication (aka the “DCB Channel”).
Although he has extensive seat time in both vee bottoms and catamarans—his previous performance boat was a 35 Fountain—the DCB is the first cat he’s owned.
“These sport cats have really taken off,” James says. “And all of the torque and power that you get out of these 450s are so impressive, as well as the fuel efficiency. It just seemed to make a lot of sense.”
James says he was attracted to the DCB because of the superior workmanship, fit and finish, etc. “The quality is just amazing. These guys are on top of everything,” he says. “They build an outstanding boat. I’m blown away by the attention to detail and the whole build process. It was absolutely incredible.”
James traveled to the facility during the build a couple of times and says he was impressed by the process. “It’s like building a custom home,” he says, “right down to the color of the thread I wanted to the upholstery and fabrics and all the different panels sections. They even went the extra mile on things I hadn’t even thought about, like adding more LEDs underneath the boat.”
Now that he’s had some time to drive the boat on Lake Havasu, prior to having it transported back east, he couldn’t be happier by the DCB’s performance. “It’s mind blowing—just unbelievable,” he says. “The boat is so stable and so smooth. The power and midrange punch of the 450s is truly extraordinary, and it gets up to the top end real quickly. I hate to overuse the term, because you hear it so often, but it runs like it’s on rails. And it turns really tight and really smoothly, and handles so well.” He says he expects to see a top speed of around 125 mph.
Some of the other features of the boat include:
• 100% Alcantara interior with matching under cuddy, as well as a full bed pad.
• Half cap with stainless steel rubrail.
• Vacuum Infused Resin (VIR) process, balsa-cored, with aggressive carbon-fiber and carbon-kevlar.
• Three Garmin 8612 monitors.
• Mercury Vessel View 5” (C-Zone).
• Dual Garmin VIRB HD camera system mounted to windshield strut
rear view mirror.
• Isotta Carlotta steering wheel.
• Two Garmin GMi20s in back of the headrests.
• Interior Rigid LED lighting package (mood lighting, courtesy lighting, LED cupholders, underwater lighting).
• Stage III stereo, including Fusion head unit, two JL Audio amplifiers, 10 JL Audio M6 midrange LED speakers and two 12” JL Audio W3 subwoofers.
• Billet foot shower.
• Billet swimstep with SeaDek.
• Extreme custom trailer, tandem-axle with custom two-tone chrome 18” fuel rims, stainless steel fenders, triangular drive guard, courtesy ladder, undercarriage LED lighting package, etc.