MIAMI SHOW: Mercury Racing’s New 1100 Engine Is Exclusive Power of New Race Series
Powerboat P1, which produces the single-engine V-bottom Panther/SuperStock race boat series, has joined forces with the Offshore Powerboat Association (OPA) to create the APBA Offshore Championship series. Mercury Racing’s all-new 1100 Competition engine, which debuted as part of the Miami International Boat Show, has been developed exclusively for the newly formed series.
The 9.0-liter engine features Mercury Racing’s exclusive aluminum four-valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshaft valve train. The proprietary V8 cylinder block is further packed with Mercury Racing-designed and specified hardware. A Racing exclusive fuel calibration combined with the Quad Cam Four Valve (QC4) valve train enables the engine to produce 1,100 horsepower at 6500 rpm on 89-octane (95 RON) pump fuel. The engine’s 6,000-6,500 rpm operating range offers unsurpassed acceleration for its power rating as well as unmatched durability and reliability. Factory installed inspection seals affixed to the PCM, front cover/intake manifold and oil pan ensure a level playing field for all race teams.
“Our new 1100 Competition engine will provide a long-term powerful and reliable product to showcase the talents of the series’ elite drivers, throttlemen, and crews,” said Mercury Racing General Manager Stuart Halley.
A key aim of the Powerboat P1/OPA partnership will be to strengthen the future of offshore racing in the United States by providing an expanded, cohesive world-class race series consisting of six race sites with three venues in the northern U.S. states and three venues in the southern states. Both Powerboat P1 and OPA operate under the American Powerboat Association (APBA), the domestic arm of the Union Internationale Motonautique (U.I.M.), powerboat racing’s international sanctioning body. Solid Foundation
Mercury Racing has supported Powerboat P1 since its inception in 2003. The 4.6L 300R V8 FourStroke is the exclusive power for the P1 SuperStock racing series of which Mercury Racing is the Presenting Sponsor.
“Strategic partnerships are at the heart of our Powerboat P1 business, and we are delighted that our existing relationship with Mercury Racing in the P1 SuperStock USA race series, with Mercury Racing as the presenting sponsor, is now expanding to embrace the new APBA Offshore Championship,” said Powerboat P1 Managing Director Azam Rangoonwala. “This will be an exciting year as we repower our one-design P1 Panther fleet with the 300R outboard and work with the OPA to create an expanded, cohesive, six-venue championship which features many Mercury Racing products including the new 1100 Competition engine.”
Mercury Racing has been the power behind several OPA Championships throughout that series’ 16-year tenure. “Being at the leading edge of technology and marine propulsion, Mercury Racing brings a lot to the table,” said OPA President Roland “Smitty” Smith. “Having their support is very important to us. Along with the new 1100 class, we are working with Mercury Racing to bring their product and support into several other classes in the near future.”
1100 Competition Exclusive Features
• Twin turbocharged, 9.0 Liter engine features Mercury Racing’s exclusive aluminum four valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshaft valve train for unsurpassed durability.
• Proprietary 90-degree V8 cylinder block packed with Mercury Racing designed and specified hardware.
• 1,100 horsepower at 6500 RPM on 89 octane (Rec 90) pump fuel.
• 6000-6500 rpm operating range offers unsurpassed acceleration throughout the power band.
• Twin turbochargers yield better performance, fuel economy, sound quality and reduce noise.
• Electronic boost control delivers a consistent, flat torque curve under all operating conditions.
• Pulse separated exhaust tuning (from Mercury Racing’s expertise in high performance 2-stroke engines) improves low RPM turbocharger response.
• High performance heat exchanger maintains engine temperatures for enhanced durability.
• Mercury Digital Throttle & Shift (DTS) technology provides luxury-car-like drivability.
• Robust hydraulic transmission designed to handle the 1100’s high torque and power levels.