Offshore competitors in Key West received a major jolt during today’s off-day of racing when Super Boat International announced that two Team Victory hulls had been penalized for jumping the start during Friday’s Superboat Unlimited race, while Huski Chocolate was penalized for blocking other racers on the course.
The two boats from Dubai—UAE-33 and UAE-3 Team Victory—received a demotion in points after coming in first and second on Friday. UAE-33, driven by Salem Ali Aladidi of Dubai and throttled by John Tomlinson of Performance Boat Center, had finished in first place, while UAE-3, piloted by driver Steve Curtis (of Miss Geico fame) and Elsa Mohamed Abdul Rahman of Dubai on throttles, finished in second place.
After the penalties were made, the Superboat Unlimited teams are now sitting in the following order in terms of points:
• #7 Team CRC/Spooled Up Racing, a 48’ MTI featuring owner/driver Mike DeFrees and throttleman Jay Muller, now leads with 432.5 points.
• UAE-33 Team Victory is in second place, with a 407.5 points.
• #77 Lucas Oil Silverhook, a 48’ Silverhook driven by Jay Johnson and throttled by Nigel Hook, have 389.5 points.
• #17 Wake Effects, a 48’ MTI with owner/driver Rusty Rahm and throttleman Jeff Harris—who were last season’s National Champions in the class—have 383.0 points.
• UAE #3 Team Victory has 367.0 points.
• #91 Zabo Racing, a 42’ Victory driven by Ugur Isik and throttled by Miles Jennings, has 335.5 points.
• #64 Huski Chocolate, a 54’ MTI owned and driven by Tim Trahan and throttled by Bruce Bullock, have 296.0 points.
Superboat Unlimited racing concludes on Sunday.